This is one of our favourite puff pastry recipes. And let’s face it, chicken is always a winner. We love preparing this meal from time to time. Sure, it’s a little time consuming, but the taste makes up for every minute of work in the kitchen. Since we only cook for the two of us, we’re able to freeze the leftovers of the chicken pot pie filling and therefore have something to look forward to in the freezer.
I personally love step by step recipes. So here is one for you:
- 2 cups of cubed chicken breast
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp of dried parsley
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- puff pastry
- 1 egg for egg wash
1. Heat olive oil in a pan, fry the cubed chicken breast, spice gently with salt and pepper, set aside.
2. Prepare all vegetables. Wash, peel, and finely chop them.
3. In a medium sized pot, melt butter over medium heat.
4. Add carrots, onions, celery, salt, and pepper.
5. Cook until onions are translucent.
6. Add potatoes, garlic powder, thyme, parsley.
7. Add the chicken stock.
8. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken and bring back to a boil.
9. In a small mixing bowl, add the flour and a few ladles of the chicken stock. Whisk until flour is incorporated then add to the pot.
10. Stir until chicken pot pie filling has thickened. Add the frozen peas. Keep warm and set aside.
11. Take the defrosted puff pastry, cut out eight circles.
12. Take four of those circles (those will be your top layers) and cut out a smaller circle inside, keep everything intact.
13. Egg wash all eight circles.
14. Place a top circle on each bottom circle.
15. Bake at 225C for 20min or until puffy and golden brown.
16. Take the puff pastry shell, use a knife to remove the top.
17. Fill with the chicken pot pie filling, put the top back on. Enjoy!
The chicken pot pie filling is enough to fill around 8 pastry shells. However in this recipe only 4 pastry shells are filled (good for 2 adults). This way you can freeze the rest of the filling if you only cook for two.